Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fort Davis Stage Race

A lot has been going on these past few weeks, that's why I haven't posted much.

Fort Davis:

When I got back from Redlands Classic, my body was just about wasted, so I didn't ride much before this race. It was about a 10 hour drive from Houston to a little town called Fort Davis. Thanks again to Kevin Burandt for driving me and Travis.

Race Report:

Stage 1 - Uphill Road Race
It was a chilly start, very windy in the town of Fort Davis. We had a neutral start through town and once we left town, things got rolling! A few attacks went off, but nothing got away. Carlos Vargas attacked with Sol Frost and Ian Dille...I was saw a great opportunity and went with it! The four of us started to hammer it and no one was chasing us down...Big mistake.

We worked up to about a 4 minute lead on the group. on the slight uphills Sol kept gaping me and wearing me down. When approached the first long hill climb, Sol attacked and I was done. It was up to the three amigos to try and stay away. I went in to my "own pace mode".

About the top of the first long climb, Heath Blackgrove, Chris Wherry, and Pat McCarty came flying by me like I was standing still! The main group was to follow a minute later. I jumped in with the main group and tried to hang on.

We finally got to the bottom of the straight up climb to the observatory and I was glad I had my compact crank!! haha I think I ended up finishing 1:30 behind the main group. Tough day.

Stage 2 - Time Trial:
The winds picked up to about 30 mph, gusting at 45+mph!! The course was pretty much an out and back course. Headwind going out and tailwind coming back! Crazy!! I did something before the race that no one should ever do and it's change your position on the TT bike. I put an adjustable stem on and slammed it down to get more aero...During the race, I couldn't even get low, I was cramping in butt the lower I got.

The way out on the TT course, I think I averaged 16mph and on the way back I averaged 45mph...Does that tell you something about the wind?? haha

Stage 3 - 75mile Road Race
We started at the Prude Ranch, which an awesome Ranch by the way. We were neutral all the way in to town. When we made the right turn down to the TT course, the attacks began! It was crazy attacking!! Attack after attack!! Stefan Rothe was one of them instigating all the attacks. Of course nothing got away. The group finally slowed after awhile and at one point we were all just rolling at 10mph!! haha

We approached the first climb...I have to say, when I was a Cat 4 doing this race, that climb felt like the longest climb I've ever done!! Doing this race as a Cat 1, after we crested over the top, I was surprised it was already over! I think they shortened the climb since then...hehe

I actually stayed with the group the whole race, which was a shocker to me. I didn't expect to finish with the main group. Correction, the last climb, I ended up off the back about 30 seconds from the main group.

Race done...then the drama begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment