Monday, February 9, 2009

Alsatian Omnium Day 2 Road Race

It was a nice beautiful WINDY morning...Winds at about 20-35mph, overcast for the rest of the afternoon and chances of some rain...

Going in to the Road Race I was 3rd in the Omnium GC, aka Overall Standing. Travis was somewhere in the top 10.

We had to legally start the race through town as a 'Parade' for the community, so they actually enforced us to wave at the town...We didn't have much of a crowd...lol

We start the race, people start attacking right out of the gate! We had a tailwind and I think everyone had way too much coffee, including me...So we're pushing 35-40 mph the first 5-10 mins of the race...I noticed my rear tire was squishy...IT WAS FLAT! I was aww $hit!

I yelled over to Chacho, 'Chacho, I have a flat!'

He yells back, (his Hispanic Voice) 'I have Campy!' (I laugh)

I yell back, 'Can you wait for me?!'

Chacho, 'Oh! Ok yes!'

Andy, my other teammate waited for me too.

I get the wheel, practically thrown at me...wheel truck doesn't even wait or help me out...So I Time Trial it to make it back on to the pack. Chacho and Andy try to help me out...we weave in and out of cars one by one. We weren't getting any closer...I yell to Andy, we have to get around these cars! Well, I got behind one vehicle and THANK GOD he was there...You know who you are! Got me back up to the pack, too bad for Andy and Chacho, they didn't make it back...Although Andy did make it back on from the same help of the vehicle that helped me. Chacho, wasn't so lucky...I apologized to both...

The race was brutal! Everyone was put in to the gutter, flirting with the centerline/yellow line rule...At one point we were all stretched out for 2 miles long and cars were passing us on the right & left side of the road...VERY DANGEROUS! Some people almost became hood ornaments...Tobin stops the race!! haha Yells at us about the yellowline rule and to start a new line...Race starts up again, but slowly...

Super Squadra pulled back a 3 man break just about 2-3 miles from the finish, thank you guys!

Travis tried to lead me out again for the finish...but this time it was a uphill finish...=( No good for Ronnie...I yelled at Travis to GO! I was cramping like no other! Stefan Rothe was yelling at him too...haha

Travis Finished 3rd, Kevin Kremke won the Road Race and also won the Overall Omnium.

Travis finished 4th overall and I finished 1 point behind for 5th overall. 3rd-5th was this close:

1st Kevin Kremke
2nd Dave Wenger
3rd Jason Short 33
4th Travis Burandt 32
5th Ronnie Strange 31

It was a pretty eventful and sucessful weekend...So far there hasn't been any wrecks in the P/1/2's that I know of, so that's a great start of the season.

Till Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment