Sunday, May 18, 2008

Houston Grand Crit 2008

Today's race was intense! We averaged 28 mph for 90 mins!! The course was a long straight, out and back loop for 2.4 miles.

There was a 7-8 man breakaway about 30 mins in to the race. The guys were flying, because with about 30-40 mins to go, the break was broken down to only 4 people!! The Orven Mexico team had two guys in the break, with Kevin Kremke and Dave Wenger<<--animals...The pack was very disorganized, so I went for about 2 primes and ended up with one ($350 Shimano Custom fit shoes).

I tried bridging up on my own several times, but no cigar. 3 Laps to go, we cut the break down to 20 seconds and it was at 30 seconds. 2 laps to go, we're at 10 secs...the Break is getting tired, and one of the Orven guys tried to break from the breakaway. 1 lap to go, everyone is sitting up, so I attack and bridged up to the break...I get across only to see a ghostly, I'm toasted, look on Kevin and Dave's face...Then I see the group is coming up, Crap I'm toasted too...So I wait for the group and sit in for the last lap to rest. We're coming down the home stretch, I'm trying to get back in to position for a chance.

We come around the last corner and everyone is flying!! I finish 19th, the last payout spot =)

Great race, but felt like a oven for 90 minutes. I know I worked way too hard for nothing.

Next week...

Texas State Criterium Championships

No comments:

Post a Comment