Friday, March 13, 2009

Gila Training

I flew out to El Paso and drove to Silver City, NM with my coach, Gaye Koenning from RPM Sports. We stayed with a lovely couple, Doug and Judy Fowler and their lovely dog Sam, who retrieves the newspaper EVERY morning! haha It's awesome!!

1st Day - Rode half of Stage 1 - started in Cliff and did the loop around the small town and rode up to Mogollon Climb, which is after a 90 mile road race...it's a 5.5 mile climb....about 2500ft of climbing!! the climb is up a small alpine road.

2nd Day - Stage 2 of the Gila Stage Race - I actually changed it up a bit. started at Fort bayard and rode up Pino Altos, which is 7000ft Elevation and it started sleeting on the way up...Then we came across the 'Gila Monster' and Gaye said we should go up...lol...So at 7500ft...The Desend was freaking awesome!! Barreling down a Mountain side at 50+ mph hitting 180 switchbacks!
I was done after that...I tried descending the Gila Monster, but it started to sleet REAL bad! I had to call it quits.

3rd day - Drove to the top of Pino Altos and descended down it and Gaye drove me to the top and descended down it. Rode through the Valley, which is part of Stage 2 and 5, I believe. Gaye aparrently went on a adventure to the Cliff Dwellings and forgot about me...haha We were running short on time and I was only able to get in 2 hours.

I just want to Thank Doug and Judy, they are a wonderful loving family who took in 2 complete strangers. Doug was a Race director for the Cotton Patch which they used to live in Dallas. Doug even let me borrow his saddle off his bike! haha the rails on my saddle broke at Rough Roubaix. I can't thank you guys enough!

Drove back to El Paso and put Gaye on a flight home. Thank you very much Gaye for coming out and following me around Silver City.

www.rpmsportstx.com

No comments:

Post a Comment